About Holt Parish
The Parish lies in a most beautiful area of North Norfolk, approximately 4 miles from the coast. The historic Georgian town of Holt is the focal point for a large rural area and is a busy and bustling former market town, attracting many visitors and tourists.
The Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle was established in Holt before 1086, the year of the Domesday Book. The church is situated in the heart of the town at the end of Church Street, which is found behind the War Memorial, at the east end of what was the original Market Place.
All Saints District Church in High Kelling is situated two miles east of Holt on the A148 Cromer Road. A former Sanatorium Chapel, it has been used as a place of worship in the Parish since 1955.
A Brief History of the Church of Andrew the Apostle
It is almost certain that a church was built on this site in the 11th century making this a
place of prayer over a period of a thousand years.
Nothing of the original building survives with much of the present building dating back to the 14th century. During this time churches in the neighbouring coastal ports were being built on a grand scale. Holt did not share this same prosperity and the church was built to a relatively modest design, although there was originally a spire.
A disastrous fire swept through the town on Saturday 1st May 1708 and the church was gutted. It was rebuilt in 1727 and then further restored by Butterfield in the 1860’s. The fire started at Shirehall Plain and quickly spread through the timber houses of the town. The church was badly damaged with its thatched chancel destroyed and the lead melted from the windows, with the flames spreading up the steeple. Local reports of the time state that the fire spread so swiftly that the butchers did not have time to rescue their meat from their stalls on the market. The damage to the town was estimated to be in the region of £11,000, which was a massive amount of money at that time. After the fire the town received many donations from all over the country and the task of reconstruction began.
You will find leaflets in church giving further information about the building and features of interest.
Day by day, week by week, the worship of God continues in this place giving thanks for the love of Jesus and to ask Him to guide the world, this Parish and our own individual lives.